Wednesday, February 13, 2013

On the Struggle for Self-Control and Tact

www.someecards.com
No truer words have been disseminated on the internet than the ones above, at least in my case. I often struggle with biting my tongue in many situations daily and there are times that I wish I could just say what I want and damn the consequences. But I know that will never work in my favor; I'd be offending people by the dozens if I completely forgo the filter between my brain and my mouth. I do slip up sometimes. It could be because something was too funny not to share, then in the end I'll realize that most people do not have my warped and pervy sense of humor. Sometimes it is when I am really upset and holding it in is just impossible; that usually involves yelling and things flying from my hand towards my intended target.

I mostly struggle with people and their ignorance and narrow mindedness on things. Considering the conservative culture I was raised in, this happens often enough and it takes all my effort not to jump their throat, though the throat-jumping is usually prompted by insufferable people and insufferable ideas, opinions, and actions.

Can you imagine a world where everybody had no choice but to say what's on their mind? I surmise utter chaos. I also think nobody would be friends with each other. Man may well become an island. 

Whenever I'm thinking about opening my mouth to speak my mind, I always try to ask these there questions:
Should it be said?
Should it be said by you?
Should it be said now?
It makes sense really. Sometimes things should be left unsaid to avoid conflict. Sometimes you have no business talking about things. Sometimes its just not the time to say it. It always pays to subscribe to the trait of tactfulness, don't you think?


This has been a Wednesday post brought to you by The Purple Madhouse.


DISCLAIMER: No copyright infringement intended. I take no ownership of the image used in this blog post. Images found on the internet are considered for public use unless explicitly dictated otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment