Monday, December 10, 2012

Photo-of-Interest Monday: TOR-TOL

This is  shot is one of the very first photos Farrelly (my DSLR) took the very day I got him. The subject, as you cans see, is one of my turtles. I can never really tell them apart, which is why I call them Thing 1 and Thing 2 and still I won't be able to tell you which turtle is which. 

I chose this photo for today's post because it looks my turtle is smiling at the camera, and I'm always a sucker for shots like this. It's probably just the way the turtle is angled towards the camera but to me that's a smile. I've never managed to replicate this shot ever again, which gives this shot a few more points on the "Why it's special" category.

Turtles are one of my favorite animals. The first pair I got when I was very young and I had to give them up for adoption when the family decided to move back to Cebu. My mother explained that I wouldn't be able to bring them on the plane, but now that I think about it she might've been lying; I'm going to have to look into that.

The second time I tried for a pet turtle ended in tragedy. My lone turtle drowned. How is that possible, you say? Well, turtles aren't supposed to stay too long underwater; my turtle upended it self in the terrarium (of course with water) and was unable to get back up. I found him the next day, and I was really depressed afterwards and figured maybe I should quit on the whole turtles-as-pets thing.

The two I have now are doing pretty good though. They have gotten quite big and I had to get them a bigger terrarium (an aquarium you can fill 15 gallons of water). I don't really know what I'll do when they get even bigger. I'd want to keep them with me, of course. But I f I can't I 'll just have to find them a better home. Maybe a good zoo or animal sanctuary.

This has been a Monday post brought to you by The Purple Madhouse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment