Wednesday, November 21, 2012

On Being Alone


From the film Matilda (1996)
I have this in common with Matilda. I remember watching this movie and thinking, "Wow, I can really relate to her!" My parents were never like hers and I didn't have any special powers like she did but like her I found solace in being left alone, albeit I wasn't completely like that as a child; I did spend my afternoons playing outside but then I discovered the appeal of being on my own. This mostly began when I started getting into books as well.

No, I did not turn into a recluse of some sort but I liked the quiet, and I've carried this trait through my adolescence and now my adulthood. Let's be clear though, being alone is different from being lonely. Like they say,  "You can be in a room full of people and still feel lonely."

It's not all the time that I prefer to be alone. I do enjoy being social; I have friends and I like hanging out with them as often that I can. I'm just not one of those people who can't stand to be on their own. I quiet like being my own company. Sometimes I even find myself more entertaining than most people I see on a day to day basis and, yes, I am very well aware that may come across as strange.

What I'd like people to understand is that it is not a bad thing to be alone. You can get a lot of things done by yourself and there are things better to be done alone than with others. Also, the quiet is a nice, solid perk; I find it focuses introspection. 

I think people should learn how to be alone and how to be okay with it because, one day, for an indiscernible amount of time, you may just find yourself alone and if you won't be able to thrive or even cope, that's when you become lonely.

This has been a Wednesday post brought to you by The Purple Madhouse.


DISCLAIMER: No copyright infringement intended. I take no ownership of the image used in this blog post. Images found on the internet are considered for public use unless explicitly dictated otherwise.  

2 comments:

  1. i need my alone time to breathe! which is probably one of the better reasons why fate has me commuting 4 hours a day with random strangers for company. and also why i can't imagine myself dorming or bedspacing with people whose trick it is to go to sleep chit-chatting endlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I get a lot of rumination done with my alone time. Sometimes too much. :]

      I don't like chatty pre-sleepers as well. Grrr...

      Delete