Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Music, Sentiment, and Attachment

On the way home from work today, I was listening to Florence + The Machine’s Over the Love. The song is four and a half minutes long and for those minutes, listening to Florence Welch sing about love separated by distance real and metaphorical, I was somewhere else.


The second the song began my thoughts ceased all together and the music just poured into my mind, like clean water to a parched throat. There was that jolt of electricity and I was taken away from that cramped van and teleported into a world where all that mattered was the beautiful blending of voice, melody, and emotion. Every sound that came out of my earphones just lifted me up and I transcended my being at that moment.

The song just took my breath away and my heart just wanted more. It had all the elements that make an epic song and I was just so content to stay in that world the music created for me and just as wished that it wouldn't the song had to end. 

The obligatory replay was done and the song still had the same effect. That’s when I knew I would get attached it. 

That’s what epically good music does to people – you get attached to it. It is not really a sense of ownership to the song but rather with sentiment and value. Good music is just able to evoke those kinds of feeling because often they reach a place in you that very few things are capable of. Its intangibility allows it to sneak into the crevices of your being and find that piece that it just fits into and it just makes sense.

It doesn't matter what you listen to, there are always songs that bring you somewhere else and you forget everything in those minutes where the song just flows from your player, to your ears, and to every part of you, and those moments are important. It’s a reprieve from the present and we all need that sometimes. Music is one of the things that help me cope when I'm sad, stressed, angry, or when I just want to get away from the world for a while. It's my remedy. 





DISCLAIMER: No copyright infringement intended. I take no ownership of the image, video, and music used in this blog post. Images, videos, and music found on the internet are considered for public use unless explicitly dictated otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment