Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pressure

Blogger's note: I wrote this weeks ago and just got around to posting it now. I've been so remiss in writing and posting. I will, however, make it up soon. I've a few writings done.

If I sniff the air, I get the smell of pressure brewing in the distance. Like a latent storm waiting to rain on your parade. It is this presence you are very much aware is charging towards you but because there is quite a distance between you and it, you put all your faculties into preparing yourself for its onslaught.

Pressure and I are old friends. I'm also well acquainted with its siblings Stress and Anxiety and I've had brushes with a cousin named Insanity. Over the years I've done battle against these ghastly forces and sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. The last skirmish left me wary of myself and what submitting to pressure can do to you.

Now is another battle to be won and frankly I'm a bit nervous. But I think that's good because I believe it will only add to my being cautious in how I will tackle what lies ahead.

Prioritization will be an ally. What is more important to get done? What can wait? Organized ranking will be crucial.

Take a step back and just breathe. Actually, take as much time as you need with this step back business; it is a sanity saver. Take a walk. Read a chapter from that book you've just started. Drink tea. Have something chocolate. Little things like this will help greatly.

Multi-tasking doesn't really help. I say tackle one task, accomplish it, then move on to the next (but, of course, take those step-back moments in between). In the wise words of Parks and Rec's Ron Swanson: "Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."

Are these foolproof ways of dealing with Pressure and its terrible friends? Not completely and not all the time. But everyone addresses things their own way and these are mine. I hope by sharing them I can help you out in my own way.

So I ask: What do you do in the face of Pressure?

No comments:

Post a Comment